February 11th is International Day for Women and Girls in Science (approved by the United Nations General Assembly in 2015)
“This Day is a reminder that women and girls play a key role in science and technology communities and that their participation need to be strengthened.”
OMEP France President and representative to UNESCO, Daniéle Perruchon, participated in the UNESCO-led and UN-Women celebration in Paris.
Among the topics covered in different interventions are:
– Lack awareness about science
– Ignorance of scientific careers
– The importance of education from an early age
– The importance of networking and guidance
– The financial assistance provided by the (l’Oréal) Awards to acquire equipment in research laboratories, for example in Africa
– The need to create an Observatory to analyse the causes of the abandonment of sciences, and course of studies, and in the choice of a trade (UNESCO chair opened in Paris)
– Even more marked gender inequality in computer science.
More about this date:
Message from Unesco Director-General, Mrs. Audrey Azoulay:
Leave a Reply